Take 5: Vintage Spring Wardrobe Essentials
Hello vintage dreamers! I am sorry I have neglected the blog for a while, but here I am back and hopefully will pick up this lovely habit now the days feel that bit longer. Speaking of which...anyone noticed the change in light? The unmistakable feeling of hope and rebirth nature is sending with every flower, every ray of sunshine, every minute snatched back from the dark of night?
I certainly have. In fact, I used to think Summer was my favourite season (and I still love it, don't get me wrong!) but I increasingly feel Spring is really where it's at...such a glorious triumph of hope over darkness, of promise of what's coming.
And of course, for us fashion lovers along with that comes the urge to updated our wardrobe to reflect the changing light, the changing temperature, the changing mood. And perhaps even more than my own wardrobe, I enjoy dressing up the shop in lighter tones, soft pastels, crisp whites and adorable ginghams that make you want to saunter down a hill with a picnic basket on your arm!
So this week, to welcome the blooming of Spring, I thought I'd do a quick rundown of 5 key Spring-appropriate items every vintage lover should have in their wardrobe. Ready?
1. The Romantic Dirndl Dress - a pretty, floaty dress has to be top of any Spring must-have list. And if details such as puff sleeves, tailored bodices and voluminous skirts is what you are after, you really can't beat an original Bavarian and Austrian folk Dirndl dress. Their quality is usually outstanding as they are made by brands highly specialized in folkwear, and often come in all-natural fibres such as Cotton and Linen, making them perfect for warmer days. Pick a block color for a more contemporary look, go all-out romantic with beautiful floral prints à la Laura Ashley, or choose classic gingham for a French-inspired look.
2. The White Vintage Blouse - I feel that a crisp white vintage blouse makes me feel instantly put together (if in doubt on what to wear, I always reach for one.) It doesn't matter whether it's a vintage long sleeve shirt or a romantic vintage puff sleeve top: there's something about white's flattering, reflective light against the skin that makes it an instant mood-lifter! Not to mention, denim to skirts to black trousers, it goes with everything in your wardrobe.
3. The Folk Cardigan - A little vintage knit can be your best friend this time of year: handy to roll away inside a tote when you don't need it, and ready to come to the rescue if you decide to enjoy a drink outdoors on a colder evening. Indulge in a touch of drama with a wide mutton sleeve cardigan, add a talking point with a cute front & back scenery cardigan or go for a rare handknit vintage popcorn knit for extra kudos.
4. The Boho Nightgown - When bedtime calls, nothing beats a soft and light romantic vintage Nightgown, sure to make you dream from the moment you slip it on. From heavy hemp and flannelette it's now time to switch to gossamer-light cotton or sleeveless, temperature-regulating linen. Tip: a non-seethrough antique linen nightgown can also cleverly double up as a unique midi dress - simply add a belt and a pair of cute sandals!
5. The Quilted Jacket - yes, it's Spring, but this doesn't mean we can ditch all forms of outerwear just yet. A cropped quilted jacket in padded, pure cotton will keep you warm and cosy while giving a nod to the current trend for all things patchwork. My tip? As for the dresses, choose expert vintage folkwear for long-lasting quality you can rely on and for impeccable tailoring.
So there you have it, I hope you have enjoyed this little roundup of vintage Spring must-haves! Don't forget to check out the Weekly Drop this Friday at 7pm GMT for a brand new selection of fine romantic and folk vintage clothing - and to sneak a few little preview peeks over on Instagram!